KEEP WORKING TOWARDS THE GLASS THAT'S HALF FULL - OMAR MANSOOR
Inspiration is the key to creativity and creativity is the key to success. The section 'In Focus' brings to the table some highly creative individuals, from different creative fields, who are sharing the secret recipes of their success. 'In Focus' is also an attempt to inspire people to chase their dreams, by sharing stories of people who've done so and found their calling.
In Focus - Omar Mansoor - Founder, Omar Mansoor Label
1. Let’s meet Omar Mansoor.
I hail from a textile family, brought up in textile-related atmosphere in a textile town and I attended London College of Fashion. I enjoy swimming and like to paint in my free time.
2. Do you remember the first time you got inspired about your current field of work & how did you follow your current path of setting up your own label?
The moment I failed for the first time in my math exams and got a distinction in arts, I knew that where I’ve to focus! So Instead of going towards finance side of my family business, I decided to take on the ‘value addition’ side and convert the textiles in to a garment house. And that’s really how design became my area of interest since I was 7 years old.
3. What keeps you motivated & what is the best piece of advice you’d give to someone starting their own brand/label?
The appreciation from the general public keeps me motivated and in words of George Burns, “ I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.” So like everything else in life there’s struggle, ups and downs in fashion too. Just follow your instinct and keep working towards the glass that’s half-full.
4. Which was the most challenging part of your journey?
I had the opportunity to dress up the BBC presenter, Susanna Reid, for Oscars red carpet 2010 as she was reporting from there for hours long live on BBC. That was quite challenging to design an outfit that was aesthetically strong yet comfortable for the wearer.
5. Who do you design/create your clothes for?
I design for the confident-modern women, who is ready to experiment with her looks with elegance and sophistication.
6. Can you walk us through the biggest lesson you’ve learnt in running a business.
If you’re doing a ‘ready-to-wear’ line, then do follow the pulse of the market with your own signature style.
7. Please tell us your life motto:
To be good in life and to make people look good and feel good!
8. Which is the one Social Media platform you love the most & why?
Instagram- as it’s very visual and very handy.